- Tuesday, 15 July 2003 -
08:00 – 11:30
Following the success of the London ‘Healing the Rift’ Atlantic Partnership conference in May, we held a second in Washington DC on the 15th July bringing together leading Europeans and Americans to discuss the damage to the transatlantic relationship since Iraq. The meeting was co-hosted by Congressman Doug Bereuter and Michael Howard. Senator John McCain was the keynote speaker, and other speakers included Congressman Robert Wexler, Ambassador Richard Burt and Lord Powell of Bayswater and a delegation of German MPs. Notes from the meeting are included below. The discussions were extremely constructive and far ranging, and were covered in the US and UK media.
The participants included:
- The Rt Hon Michael Howard QC MP Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer, Chairman, Atlantic Partnership.
- Congressman Doug Bereuter, Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on International Relations Subcommittee on Europe
- Senator John McCain – keynote speaker
- Ambassador Richard Burt, former US Ambassador to Germany
- Gernot Erler, Vice-Chairman of the SPD parliamentary Group of the Bundestag – Germany
- Jorg Moragas, Former Foreign Affairs Advisor to the Spanish Prime Minister Aznar over six years, International Secretary of the Partido Popular – Spain
- Congressman Doug Bereuter – AP Panellist and chair of the Europe Subcommittee of the House Committee on International Relations
- Gert Weisskirchen, Member of the German Bundestag and Speaker of the SPD Parliamentary Group for Foreign Policy
- Uta Zapf, Member of the German Bundestag and Chairperson of the Subcommittee on Disarmament and Arms Control
- Congressman Robert Wexler, ranking Democrat House of Representatives Committee on International relationship Subcommittee on Europe